Cypress Semiconductor Corporation's 19th Annual Holiday Food Drive Event Thursday, December 17, 2009 | Cypress Semiconductor
Cypress Semiconductor Corporation's 19th Annual Holiday Food Drive Event Thursday, December 17, 2009
Cypress Employees to Build Large, Hollywood-Themed Canned Food Sculptures and Compete in a Talent Contest Before Local Celebrity Judges
Best time for media 2:00-3:30pm
What: Cypress Employee Holiday Food Drive Event with CEO T.J. Rodgers, Large Hollywood-Style Canned Food Sculptures and Talent Competition Before Local Celebrity Judges.
The annual Holiday Food Drive Event will feature the first-ever Cypress employee talent contest and large food sculptures themed for a Hollywood premiere. The large Hollywood-themed food sculptures will feature a huge Oscar statuette and a life-sized LA-style diner with a walk-up counter.
This event is the culmination of Cypress’s high-energy two-month competition to raise cash and food for Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.
When: Thursday, December 17
Best time for media 2:00-3:30pm
Where: Cypress Semiconductor, 198 Champion Court, San Jose
The talent show will be held in the Auditorium in Building 6 at 2:30p.m.
Who: Cypress CEO T.J. Rodgers and Cypress employees
Representatives from Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
• Olympic soccer gold medalist Brandi Chastain
• Former San Francisco 49ers including Pro Bowl defensive back Eric Wright, quarterback Steve Bono and Pro Bowl linebacker Keena Turner
• Singer and former “America’s Got Talent” Top 20 contestant Manuel Romero
2:00-2:15pm: Guests arrive.
2:15-2:30pm: T.J. Rodgers welcomes everyone and presents the check from Cypress to Second Harvest Food Bank in the Auditorium in Bldg. 6
2:30-3:30pm: Cypress Employees Talent Contest with Celebrity Judges
Large Hollywood-themed sculpture will surround the room (including an LA-style diner)
3:30-3:45pm: Judges tally their scores and make their decision on the winner of talent contest.
Celebrity Judge and singing sensation Manuel Romero performs. Manuel was a former Top 20 competitor on “America’s Got Talent.”
3:45-5:00pm: The winners are crowned, and then the crowd socializes over beverages and fun fare from the LA-style diner.
• The Food Bank served more than 30 million meals to residents in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties in FY 2009. It is the single largest nonprofit provider of food to low-income households in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties.
• A winner of 18 consecutive victories in the Food Bank’s Corporate Food Bowl Challenge, Cypress’s goal is to raise $500,000 through fundraisers, corporate giving and employee donations this year.
• Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties’ annual Holiday Food Drive has been the subject of intense rivalry among several leading high-tech companies in Silicon Valley since the early 1990s, when technological advances in manufacturing and computerized inventory systems meant fewer donations of damaged or expired goods from food manufacturers and the need for greater contributions from other sources.
• T.J. Rodgers became the first corporate CEO to chair the drive in 1990. During his first year as honorary chair, he raised more than 1.1 million pounds of food and $102,000, up from the previous year’s total of only 660,000 pounds.