FM25H20: 2-Mbit (256 K × 8) Serial (SPI) F-RAM | Cypress Semiconductor
FM25H20: 2-Mbit (256 K × 8) Serial (SPI) F-RAM
- 2-Mbit ferroelectric random access memory (F-RAM) logically organized as 256 K × 8
- High-endurance 100 trillion (1014) read/writes
- 151-year data retention (See the Data Retention and Endurance table)
- NoDelay™ writes
- Advanced high-reliability ferroelectric process
- Very fast serial peripheral interface (SPI)
- Up to 40-MHz frequency
- Direct hardware replacement for serial flash and EEPROM
- Supports SPI mode 0 (0, 0) and mode 3 (1, 1)
- Sophisticated write protection scheme
- Hardware protection using the Write Protect (WP) pin
- Software protection using Write Disable instruction
- Software block protection for 1/4, 1/2, or entire array
- Low power consumption
- 1 mA active current at 1 MHz
- 80 μA (typ) standby current
- 3 μA sleep mode current
- Low-voltage operation: VDD = 2.7 V to 3.6 V
- Industrial temperature –40 °C to +85 °C
- 8-pin small outline integrated circuit (SOIC) package
- 8-pin thin dual flat no leads (TDFN) package
- Restriction of hazardous substances (RoHS) compliant
The FM25H20 is a 2-Mbit nonvolatile memory employing an advanced ferroelectric process. A ferroelectric random access memory or F-RAM is nonvolatile and performs reads and writes similar to a RAM. It provides reliable data retention for 151 years while eliminating the complexities, overhead, and system-level reliability problems caused by serial flash, EEPROM, and other nonvolatile memories.
Unlike serial flash and EEPROM, the FM25H20 performs write operations at bus speed. No write delays are incurred. Data is written to the memory array immediately after each byte is successfully transferred to the device. The next bus cycle can commence without the need for data polling. In addition, the product offers substantial write endurance compared with other nonvolatile memories. The FM25H20 is capable of supporting 1014 read/write cycles, or 100 million times more write cycles than EEPROM.
These capabilities make the FM25H20 ideal for nonvolatile memory applications, requiring frequent or rapid writes. Examples range from data collection, where the number of write cycles may be critical, to demanding industrial controls where the long write time of serial flash or EEPROM can cause data loss.
The FM25H20 provides substantial benefits to users of serial EEPROM or flash as a hardware drop-in replacement. The FM25H20 uses the high-speed SPI bus, which enhances the high-speed write capability of F-RAM technology. The device specifications are guaranteed over an industrial temperature range of –40 °C to +85 °C.