Cypress’ New College Graduate Orientation, Hiring the next generation of innovators | Cypress Semiconductor
Cypress’ New College Graduate Orientation, Hiring the next generation of innovators
Summer in India is certainly hot! But at Cypress India, summers have been hotter for the HR team this last decade. On June 25, 2012 the New College Graduate (NCG) program was launched at Cypress. At Cypress India, seventy-five NCGs joined the team on the same day, making it the first time in history to have that many employees start at a Cypress site at once. The NCG orientation programs have been a huge success and, with the buzz increasing each year, the program has received attention from executives and Cypress management.
The Cypress India location is known to onboard anywhere between thirty to seventy-five NCGs a year, significantly more than any other Cypress site. In 2020, the NCG program hired a variety of roles, including Applications Engineer, Design Engineer, Operations Analyst and more. Suma Gopal, the Principal Training Instructor, and the HR team run a week-long NCG orientation program with various activities to welcome these recent hires.
NCG Orientation Details
The goal of the NCG orientation program is to share a compelling and cohesive brand story, educating the NCGs about Cypress’ (now Infineon’s) culture and values. The NCG program helps transition graduates into their new careers, preparing them to become successful, contributing employees and helping them understand the challenges that are part of a new career journey.
Cypress University designed a unique NCG Orientation program that keeps the spirit of experiential learning, targeting different learning styles and enabling social integration throughout the process. Once the NCGs finish the orientation, they automatically join the New Employee Connection Program. Here, the HR team is in continuous contact for the first six months with all new recruits to make sure of a smooth transition into daily work activities.
2019 NCG Orientation
The NCG orientation comes with the following benefits and features:
- Executive Sessions: The executives, are invited to speak and give advice to the NCGs.
- NCG Diary: An activity where the NCGs reflect and capture their learning for the day; they document their thoughts in a creative manner.
- Creation of Cohorts: Cohorts are created to augment social learning opportunities, uphold diversity and create healthy competition among the NCGs. Cohort activities also help them bond better, creating long-lasting professional relationships.
- Cohort Presentations: Each NCG Cohort is given a topic – relevant to the company, industry or technology – and is expected to present the topic as a team. They are evaluated on presentation skills and feedback is shared.
- Activities & Team Bonding: Apart from the outbound team bonding games, there are many individual and cohort-based activities that help NCGs learn through experience.
Virtual Orientation Due to Pandemic
As a result of the pandemic, the 2020 NCG orientation was held virtually for the safety of the NCGs and Cypress employees. The virtual orientation was a huge success with thirty-six new NCGs joining via telepresence. The orientation’s overall theme did not change, but the event instead lasted half a day instead of a whole day. This change made sure that the NCGs remained engaged during the video calls. Hosting a virtual event to replace face-to-face interaction will always be a challenge, but the 2020 orientation received great feedback from the new recruits and was a huge success.
2020 Virtual NCG Orientation via Webex
Advice to NCGs
Transitioning from a university to a virtual work environment can be challenging. NCGs should look to their managers and team members for support and guidance.
Some career advice for NCGs to consider:
- Network: Reach out to the people you already know and don’t shy away from making new connections. Your biggest asset is your network.
- Never Stop Learning: Remember every moment is an opportunity to learn from everyone around you. Expand your knowledge of the industry and your area of expertise to upskill and stay updated on current developments in your field.
- Practice Personal Accountability: Being accountable for your time, projects and personal growth is a huge asset and will be appreciated throughout your career.
- Ask for Mentorship and Proactively Seek Feedback: Lean on people with more experience than you. Feedback from those who are more experienced will help you grow and expand your knowledge-base.
With Infineon’s acquisition of Cypress, we are proud to have the NCGs join a company that is as passionate about its people as Cypress was. We are thrilled to welcome the latest group of NCGs into Infineon and wish them tons of success.