Cypress Named Top 100 Places to Work for Women in India | Cypress Semiconductor
Cypress Named Top 100 Places to Work for Women in India
North American company, Working Mother Media, recently published their annual list of the 100 best companies for women to work at, but this time with an international twist: “Best Places for Women to Work at in India.” Here at Cypress, we are honored to be included in this well respected list.
The annual release of this list is prestigious because it helps set standards for work/life practices in the US for women. Now, in partnership with the India-based organization AVTAR I-WIN, Working Mother is setting a new standard for women in India.
More than 350 companies applied to be part of this study. The top 100 were recognized as being companies who have strong policies in women’s recruitment, retention and advancement, safety and security, flexible work schedules, paid leave, and have a focus on company culture and work life balance.
Being included on this list wouldn’t have been possible without the hard work and commitment of Cypress employee Suma Gopal, Staff Training Instructor. Suma is active in many of the Working Mother and AVTAR forums and comments on conversations about women in regards to inclusion and diversity, and their leadership in the workplace.
“Being responsible for learning and development at Cypress, I am committed to work on inspiring and encouraging women to take on more and more leadership roles at Cypress India,” said Suma.
Because of her involvement in the forums, organizers from Working Mother and AVTAR contacted Suma, encouraging her to apply to the study on behalf of Cypress. Applying is not an easy task, as the application consisted of 373 questions and required companies to provide data of high-level granularity on their initiative to promote gender diversity.
Suma applied because she’s proud of her company, but she also found this to be an opportunity for Cypress to grow.
“I thought it would be valuable if we participate in this contest, where we certainly got recognized for what we are,” she said. “Also, we have the opportunity to learn about the gaps in this area, and now we can work towards building a greater, safer place for women to work.”
Suma’s company pride stems from Cypress India’s commitment to attracting, retaining, and advancing the women who work with us. She explained that as more women pursue careers in business and technology, Cypress India has taken steps to support our women in the workforce, including hiring more women and providing flexible work hours and extended maternity leave.
Besides the items mentioned above, Cypress India also has several other initiatives to assist women in the work place. Suma believes Cypress’ inclusion on the Top 100 Best Places to Work in India is in part due to the following Cypress India initiatives:
- Gender Balance: A program that promotes diversity in the workforce and aims to have a balance of women when hiring new employees.
- Sexual Harassment Prevention Committee: Cypress India has an Internal Complaints Committee that was created to investigate all issues that are related to sexual harassment. This committee is responsible for preventing sexual harassment in the workplace and also ensures the initiation of appropriate action against offenders.
- Women’s Network: Women in Cypress India is a women’s forum that offers a safe place for women to meet, discuss work, share experiences, provide advice and celebrate special occasions.
- Work Safety: A policy of “no late sittings,” which means female employees are not expected to stay after 8:00 p.m. regardless of workload or late meetings.
- Training and Development: Training and development programs are available at Cypress India to help identify female employees with high potential as part of the leadership talent planning process and to help women employees emerge as leaders.
- International Women’s Day: International Women’s Day has been observed at Cypress India since 2011. This is a day for women to come together and celebrate hard work and achievements within our industry.
Employees like Suma are the reason why Cypress is actively making progress towards positive changes in our workplace. Cypress would like to offer a big thank you to Suma for all of her hard work on this project and to Working Mother and AVTAR I-WIN for recognizing Cypress as one of the best.
“It was a great privilege and moment of pride to receive this award on behalf of Cypress,” Suma said. “Beyond that, listening to the other winners, inspired me to think of various ways we could influence overall growth of our India site, not just for female employees.”