Spansion Unveils SLC NAND Flash Family and Five-Year Roadmap | Cypress Semiconductor
Spansion Unveils SLC NAND Flash Family and Five-Year Roadmap
Enhanced Product Lineup Delivers Stable Supply of High Quality NAND to Embedded Markets
SUNNYVALE, Calif., May 23, 2012 -- Spansion Inc. (NYSE: CODE), a leading innovator in Flash memory solutions for embedded markets, today announced it has started sampling its first family of single-level cell (SLC) Spansion® NAND products using 4x nm floating-gate technology, targeted specifically for data storage in automotive, consumer and networking applications. Spansion SLC NAND will be offered in densities from 1 Gb to 8 Gb in 3.0V and 1.8V families that feature high performance, extended temperature range, long-term product support and stringent reliability demands, such as 1-bit error correction code (ECC). Additionally, Spansion also unveiled its SLC NAND product roadmap through 2017.
Spansion SLC NAND products complement the company's broad parallel and serial NOR Flash memory portfolio. When designs require high-performance code execution and data storage to create rich user experiences, designers can select Spansion parallel or serial NOR Flash memory. Data storage needs can be addressed with new Spansion SLC NAND Flash solutions that deliver the high reliability and product longevity Spansion products are known for. With Spansion's broad NOR and NAND Flash memory portfolio, embedded customers now have access to a wide range of non-volatile memory products, all backed by Spansion's industry-leading customer support and service.
Spansion's five-year technology roadmap includes 1 Gb – 8 Gb SLC NAND solutions on 4x nm technology today, 3x nm technology by end of 2012 and 2x nm in 2014.
- "Spansion is a strategic partner of Coship, with a strong track record of providing NOR Flash memory that meets our high standards for quality, reliability, performance and support," said Ruiliang Yang, vice president, PhD, Coship. "Its expertise in serving the needs of the embedded industry makes Spansion a welcome addition to the SLC NAND Flash market."
- "Spansion fills a void in the NAND market with its new SLC NAND Flash memory," Russell Crane, product marketing manager, Sitara™ ARM® processors, Texas Instruments. "Spansion understands the needs of the embedded segment, particularly the requirements for long-term product support and reliability. We are excited to broaden our collaboration beyond parallel and serial Flash memory to include Spansion SLC NAND."
- "The introduction of Spansion SLC NAND products is a very positive development for the embedded market," said Michael Yang, senior principal analyst for Memory and Storage, IHS iSuppli. "SLC NAND has solid growth potential in embedded, led by the automotive and consumer segments. This is especially true for embedded applications requiring product longevity as we head down the path toward smarter connected homes and automobiles."
- "Apps are moving beyond the smartphone and into set-top boxes, digital TVs and even the car. This new functionality is increasing the complexity of embedded systems and expanding application storage needs," said Bob France, vice president of product marketing at Spansion. "The new Spansion SLC NAND Flash memory is perfectly suited for these market trends. It features the right balance of performance, reliability, density range and long-term support that embedded designers require."
Key Facts of the Spansion SLC NAND family:
- 3.0 Volt 1 Gb, 2 Gb and 4 Gb monolithic solutions are sampling now
- 1.8 Volt 1 Gb, 2 Gb and 4 Gb monolithic solutions will begin sampling at the end of 2012
- 8 Gb solutions will sample in the second half of 2012
- 4x nm floating-gate process technology
- Industrial temperature range (-40C to +85C)
- High reliability with 100,000 cycle endurance with recommended 1-bit ECC
- Best-in-class SLC NAND performance with 25μs random access, 25 ns sequential access, and up to 200 μs programming
- Industry-standard 48-pin TSOP package via Spansion's Universal Footprint
- Industry-standard NAND signal interface and command set
- Complimentary Spansion FFS -- customized software drivers and Flash file system software
- Long-term product support
- Spansion NAND Flash memory products: http://www.spansion.com/Products/NAND-Flash/Pages/NAND-Flash.aspx
- Spansion newsroom: http://news.spansion.com/
- Spansion blog: http://blog.spansion.com
- Spansion on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Spansion
- Spansion on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Spansion
Spansion (NYSE: CODE) is a leading provider of the Flash memory technology at the heart of the world's electronics systems, powering everything from the routers that run the internet to the highly interactive and immersive consumer and automotive electronics that are enriching people's daily lives. Spansion's broad and differentiated Flash memory product portfolio, award-winning MirrorBit charge-trapping technology, and industry leading service and support are enabling customers to achieve greater efficiency and success in their target markets. For more information, visit http://www.spansion.com.
Spansion®, the Spansion logo, MirrorBit®, and combinations thereof, are trademarks and registered trademarks of Spansion LLC in the United States and other countries. Other names used are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.