Spansion GL-S NOR Flash Memory Enters Production | Cypress Semiconductor
Spansion GL-S NOR Flash Memory Enters Production
Momentum builds for reliable, high density, high speed NOR Flash memory
SUNNYVALE, Calif., May 17, 2011 --
Spansion Inc. (NYSE: CODE), a leading provider of NOR Flash memory, today announced it has entered production of its 1Gb and 512Mb Spansion GL NOR Flash memory with a 45% read performance advantage and the fastest programming speed over competing NOR Flash products. The breakthrough performance, high reliability and high density support are bringing innovation to automotive, consumer electronics, gaming, and telnet applications.
Automaker specifications for next generation digital instrument clusters and infotainment systems are cutting boot time requirements in half, increasing the need for higher performance memory. With industry-leading read performance, Spansion GL-S NOR Flash memory is delivering the fast boot times, real-time feedback and high reliability automakers require for a safe driving experience. Spansion GL-S solutions are actively being qualified with leading automotive electronics customers in North America, Europe and Japan.
Electronic programming guides (EPG) in today's satellite and cable set-top boxes (STBs) are becoming increasingly sophisticated with more features and advanced user interfaces to connect consumers with rich, real-time content. Secure, high density NOR Flash memory is leveraged to store the EPG to improve the consumer's experience and increase service levels with operators. In the event of a power loss, the EPG will be retained when stored in NOR Flash memory whereas it may take up to 20 hours to fully recover the EPG when it is stored in volatile memory such as DRAM.
The fast read performance of the Spansion GL-S NOR Flash also enables power savings in consumer devices, to fulfill or exceed the requirements of the ENERGY STAR specification, by allowing the system to boot nearly instantaneously and then enter deep power down modes quickly.
Yuan Hua, Supply Chain Vice General Manager, Coship
"We specify Spansion NOR Flash memory for its high density, fast performance and integrated security to reliably store operating code and electronic program guide information for instant retrieval," said Yuan Hua, Supply Chain Vice General Manager for Coship. "Beyond innovative technology, we also value Spansion's strong customer service and recently named them as supplier of the year for the second year in a row."
Avo Kanadjian, Vice President, Marketing, Spansion
"The need for high performance NOR Flash memory is growing throughout the embedded market as end users expect nearly instant-on performance from their electronic devices," said Avo Kanadjian, vice president, marketing at Spansion. "The new Spansion GL-S NOR Flash family is providing our customers with the random read performance, density and reliability necessary to innovate in their markets."
Key Facts/Highlights of the Spansion GL NOR Flash family:
- The Spansion GL NOR Flash family offers densities of 128Mb, 256Mb, 512Mb, 1Gb and 2Gb for a broad range of applications including: automotive in-cabin electronics, consumer electronics, gaming, industrial, set-top box, telecommunications and networking.
- 65nm MirrorBit charge trapping technology is the foundation for Spansion's leading position in NOR Flash memory. Over 80% of Spansion's 4,000 customers now use Spansion products based on MirrorBit technology.
- 45% faster page-mode read performance at 98.5 MB/s vs. 67.4 MB/s
- 40% smaller BGA package (9mm x 9mm) for space-constrained applications
- Enhanced security to protect customer IP through with sector read protection and larger 1024Kb secured silicon sector
- Industry-standard form-factor via Spansion's Universal Footprint
- 64-ball FBGA package
- 56-pin TSOP package
- Wide temperature range support including:
- Industrial (-40C to +85C)
- Automotive In-Cabin (-40C to +105C) planned
- Complementary customized software drivers and Flash file system software
- Spansion GL-S NOR Flash datasheet
- Spansion GL-S NOR Flash presentation on SlideShare
- Spansion GL-S NOR Flash family photograph
- Spansion NOR Flash memory products
- Spansion newsroom
- Spansion Memory Matters blog
- Spansion on Twitter
- Spansion on Facebook
Spansion (NYSE: CODE) is a leading provider of the Flash memory technology at the heart of the world's electronics systems, powering everything from the routers that run the internet to the highly interactive and immersive consumer and automotive electronics that are enriching people's daily lives. Spansion's broad and differentiated Flash memory product portfolio, award-winning MirrorBit charge-trapping technology, and industry leading service and support are enabling customers to achieve greater efficiency and success in their target markets. For more information, visit http://www.spansion.com.
Spansion(R), the Spansion logo, MirrorBit(R), and combinations thereof, are trademarks and registered trademarks of Spansion LLC in the United States and other countries. Other names used are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.