Spansion Adds 96 New MCUs to FM4 Family for Industrial IoT | Cypress Semiconductor
Spansion Adds 96 New MCUs to FM4 Family for Industrial IoT
Blazing 200MHz Performance, New Interfaces and Protocols, 2MB Memory, and 5V I/O Combine for Easy-to-use, Leading Edge MCUs
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Oct. 20, 2014 -- Spansion Inc. (NYSE: CODE), a global leader in embedded systems, today added 96 new products to the Spansion® FM4 Family of flexible microcontrollers (MCUs). Based on the ARM® Cortex®-M4F core, the new MCUs boast a 200 MHz operating frequency and support a diverse set of on-chip peripherals for enhanced human machine interfaces (HMIs) and machine-to-machine (M2M) communications. The rich set of peripherals and large memory allow single-chip solutions for a wide variety of applications including factory automation, industrial Internet of Things (IoT), motor control, office automation, building management systems, smart meters, digital cameras and multi-function printers.
"With 200 MHz operating frequency and 2 MB flash, the S6E2C series MCUs support more than a dozen of the latest and most popular high-speed communications standards ideal for M2M communications and industrial IoT. The dual-bank flash array allows seamless over-the-air (OTA) in-application reprogramming," said Dhiraj Handa, senior vice president and general manager, Spansion Multi-Market Microcontroller Business. "We also uniquely offer robust 5V I/O on a high-performance, large-memory MCU. This eases design since designers only need one regulator for a 5V MCU and can continue to use the 5V logic and power drivers common to industrial embedded applications."
Key Features and Benefits of the Spansion S6E2C Series
Very high performance: Spansion S6E2C series MCUs are based on ARM Cortex-M4F with a maximum operating frequency of 200 MHz. The architecture is optimized for efficient data movement with a 16kB flash accelerator, allowing zero wait state execution. Peripheral-to-RAM and RAM-to-peripheral data movement is possible without CPU intervention by either an 8-channel DMA or the unique and powerful descriptor system data transfer controller (DSTC).
Up to 2MB flash and 256 KB SRAM memory: Spansion flash has an industry-leading native 72 MHz access speed. The flash memory is divided into two independent sections which allows one to be erased and programmed while the other runs code. The high-density RAM supports the large memory requirements of operating systems and is very useful for buffering audio information or Ethernet traffic.
Support for more than a dozen different communications and memory interfaces:
Spansion S6E2C series MCUs accommodate the following interfaces:
- Ethernet – for high speed bulk data transfers;
- CAN and CAN-FD – for automotive and industrial time critical networks. CAN-FD allows a flexible data rate and larger packet size making it ideal for Industrial IoT;
- NOR flash, NAND flash, SDRAM and SRAM memory devices;
- Secure Digital Input Output (SDIO) – for high speed Wi-Fi chipsets and portable devices such as digital cameras, GPS navigation devices or handheld consoles;
- Full-speed Universal Serial Bus (USB) – Both host and device modes supported;
- Integrated Interchip Sound (I2S) – the standard interface for digital audio and connecting digital audio devices together;
- High Definition Multimedia Interface – Consumer Electronics Control (HDMI-CEC) – which enables one A/V component to control another;
- General purpose serial interface – Combination of up to 16 channels of UAR, SPI, I2C or LIN communication interfaces. The user determines which function is assigned to each channel.
Motor control functionality:
- Spansion has boosted the motor control functionality by including 3 high-speed analog-to-digital converters and 3 complex timer blocks.
Industrial and safety critical applications benefit from the programmable cyclic redundancy check for memory validation, flash ECC, a clock supervisor and dual watchdog timers.
Availability and Pricing
Spansion S6E2C series MCU samples are shipping now and production volumes will be available in the first quarter of 2015 starting at $10.00 per unit for minimum volumes of 1,500 units.
- Spansion S6E2C datasheet: http://www.spansion.com/downloads/S6E2CC_DS709-00009-E.pdf
- Spansion newsroom: http://news.spansion.com
- Spansion digital magazine, Core & Code: http://core.spansion.com
- Spansion on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Spansion
- Spansion on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Spansion
Spansion (NYSE: CODE) is a global leader in flash memory-based embedded systems solutions. Spansion's flash memory, microcontrollers, analog and mixed-signal products drive the development of faster, intelligent, secure and energy efficient electronics. Spansion is at the heart of electronics systems, connecting, controlling, storing and powering everything from automotive electronics and industrial systems to the highly interactive and immersive consumer devices that are enriching people's daily lives. For more information, visit http://www.spansion.com.
Spansion®, the Spansion logo, and combinations thereof, are trademarks and registered trademarks of Spansion LLC in the United States and other countries. ARM and Cortex are registered trademarks of ARM Limited. Other names used are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.