Using Cypress S25FL-L SPI Flash with Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA - KBA219147 | Cypress Semiconductor
Support & Community
Using Cypress S25FL-L SPI Flash with Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA - KBA219147
Can I use Cypress FL-L SPI Flash with Xilinx Spartan-6 Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA)?
Yes, since the S25FL-L SPI Flash is backward compatible with former-generation SPI Flash such as S25FL-P and S25FL-S, you can use the S25FL-L SPI Flash for Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA configuration.
The S25FL-L SPI Flash is compatible with S25FL-P and S25FL-S SPI Flash (see AN218107 - Migration from S25FL-S to S25FL-L Serial NOR Flash Memory) in regard to the command set, register set, and sector architecture used by the Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA and iMPACT tool, except:
- Dual Output Read Command (3Bh) – The S25FL-L does not support this command. Use READ (03h) or Quad Output Read (6Bh) instead.
- Device ID – The S25FL-L has a different Device ID from S25FL-P and S25FL-S. If you use Xilinx iMPACT tool, there are extra steps you must take to bypass the ID check in the iMPACT tool.
To use the Xilinx iMPACT tool to program FPGA configuration data into S25FL-L, follow the steps below:
- Open Windows Control Panel and select the “System”.
- Click the “Advanced system settings”.
- In the “System Properties dialog, select the “Advanced” tab and click the “Environment Variables” button.
- In the “Environment Variables” dialog, click the “New…” button in the “User variables for username” pane.
- In the “New User Variable” dialog, fill the text boxes with:
- Variable name: XIL_IMPACT_SKIPIDCODECHECK
- Variable value: 1
- Click OK on all dialogs.
- Launch the Xilinx iMPACT tool and follow the regular tool flow (boundary scan and PROM file creation).
- In the “Select Attached SPI/BPI” dialog, select a same-density part that you are using from the S25FLxxxP or S25FLxxxS.