How to Design with PSoC® 3, PSoC 4, and PSoC 5LP - KBA86521 | Cypress Semiconductor
Support & Community
How to Design with PSoC® 3, PSoC 4, and PSoC 5LP - KBA86521
Can you give me a comprehensive list of resources that I can use to design applications using PSoC 3, PSoC 4, and PSoC 5 LP?
This article provides the complete list of PSoC 3, PSoC 4, and PSoC 5LP resources that can help you get started with PSoC devices and design your applications with them.
If you are new to the PSoC family of devices and the PSoC Creator development tool, read the supplemental material available within the PSoC Creator integrated development environment (IDE). See the PSoC Creator start page if you don’t have PSoC Creator installed.
Launch PSoC Creator and navigate to the following items:
- Quick Start Guide: Select the menu item: Help > Documentation > Quick Start Guide. This guide helps you learn how to create projects using PSoC Creator.
- Simple Component Example Projects: Select File > Open > Example projects. These example projects demonstrate how to configure and use Creator components.
- Starter Designs: Select File > New > Project > PSoC3 Starter Designs (or) PSoC 4 Starter Designs (or) PSoC 5LP Starter Designs. These starter designs demonstrate the unique features of the PSoC 3, PSoC 4, and PSoC 5LP product families.
The Cypress website at www.cypress.com has additional resources for your learning needs:
Training videos: The Cypress website has several “Training on-Demand” videos. These videos are located at http://www.cypress.com/training .
Datasheets: Device datasheets list the features and electrical specifications of PSoC 3, PSoC 4, and PSoC 5LP families of devices:
Application Notes (ANs): Application notes are available on the Cypress website to assist you with designing your PSoC application:
Here are a few application notes that can help you get started with developing PSoC 3, PSoC 4, and PSoC 5LP applications:
- AN54181 – Getting Started with PSoC® 3
- AN77759 – Getting Started with PSoC® 5LP
- AN79953 – Getting Started with PSoC 4
- AN85951 - PSoC® 4 CapSense® Design Guide
- AN86233 – PSoC 4 Low-Power Modes and Power Reduction Techniques
- AN52705 – PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5LP - Getting Started with DMA
- AN77835 – PSoC® 3 to PSoC 5LP Migration Guide
- AN57821 – PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5LP Mixed Signal Circuit Board Layout Considerations
- AN61290 – PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5LP Hardware Design Considerations
Component Datasheets: PSoC Creator utilizes "components" as interfaces to functional Hardware (HW). Each component in PSoC Creator has an associated datasheet that describes the functionality, APIs, and electrical specifications for the HW. You can access component datasheets in PSoC Creator by right-clicking a component on the schematic page or by going through the component library listing. You can also access component datasheets from the Cypress website:
In most cases, the component datasheet provides sufficient documentation for development use. If you need additional information, refer to the technical reference manual.
Technical Reference Manuals: The TRM provides detailed descriptions of the internal architecture of PSoC 3, PSoC 4, and PSoC 5LP devices:
- PSoC 3 Technical Reference Manuals
- PSoC 4 Technical Reference Manuals
- PSoC 5LP Technical Reference Manuals
Technical Support: If you have any queries or questions, our technical support team would be happy to assist you. You can create a support request at https://secure.cypress.com/myaccount/?id=25&techSupport=1, or if you are in the United States, you can talk to our technical support team by calling our toll-free number +1-800-541-4736 and then selecting option 8 at the IVR prompt.
You can also use the following support resources if you need quick assistance: