Getting started with Cypress USB Type-C Products - KBA 04071 | Cypress Semiconductor
Support & Community
Getting started with Cypress USB Type-C Products - KBA 04071
How do I develop a design with Cypress USB Type-C products?
Cypress offers two reprogrammable USB Type-C port controllers: EZ-PD™ CCG1 and EZ-PD™ CCG2. Both USB Type-C port controllers are fully compliant with the new Type-C USB-IF standard and support USB power delivery specifications. Follow these steps to get started with the design:
- Watch the training video available here,to get more information on Type-C technology and its applications
- Refer to the datasheets of both EZ-PD™ CCG1 and EZ-PD ™ CCG2 for more details.
- Cypress offers the CY4501 CCG1 Development Kit (DVK) to start your design with EZ-PD™ CCG1. CY4502 EZ-PD CCG2 Development kit can be used to emulate a smart cable with an embedded Type-C controller at both ends.
- Refer to the hardware design best practices application note to kick start your design with EZ-PD™ CCG2.
The following table gives links to various reference designs and applications notes, which can help you to start the design with EZ PD™ CCG1 and EZ PD™ CCG2.
|Application||Product name||Document Link|
|USB Type-C to HDMI/DVI/VGA Adapter design||EZ-PD™ CCG1||Reference Design|
|USB Type-C to display port solution||EZ-PD™ CCG1||Reference Design|
|Electronically marked cable assembly (EMCA) paddle card reference design||EZ-PD™ CCG1||Reference Design|
|USB Type-C to legacy USB device cable paddle reference design||EZ-PD™ CCG1||Reference Design|
|Designing USB Type-C Products using Cypress CCG1 controllers||EZ-PD™ CCG1||Application Note|
|Electronically marked cable assembly (EMCA) paddle card reference design||EZ-PD™ CCG2||Reference Design|
|Designing USB 3.1 Type-C cables using EZ-PD™ CCG2||EZ-PD™ CCG2||Application Note|
|Hardware Design Guidelines for EZ-PD™ CCG2||EZ-PD™ CCG2||Application Note|
Contact Cypress Technical Support for details about the following reference designs and technical reference manuals:
- Type-C power adapter design
- Type-C based hub reference design
- Type-C notebook design
- Type-C monitor design
- Type-C mobile design
Contact Cypress Technical Support for implementation of specific features in custom CCGx FW.