Difference between Cypress and FTDI | Cypress Semiconductor
Difference between Cypress and FTDI
I am a c++ developer who has interfaced with an FTDI FT245RL. This part allowed me to send "USB bulk" data to it that would appear out the other end to an FPGA. Our board's FT245RL part has been replaced with a Cypress cy7c68013.
The Cypress part scares me and seems much more complicated than the FTDI... but it is so popular that this must not be true. Can someone point me to a site/book/document that will get me up to speed? The ideal place will answer these kinds of questions:
- FTDI part comes with a document for the digital designer (FPGA guy) that includes a pin layout explaining the data bus, the control lines, and a timing diagram. Where can I find this information for the cy7c68013?
- Why do people seem to call the cy7c68013 by the name "fx2"?
- I use libusb's "bulk rate" messages to send/receive data to/from the FTDI. How do I do this with the cy7c68013?
- Why does the cy7c68013 seem to require "firmware"?
- How do I (the c++ developer) get the "firmware" to the cy7c68013?
- Where do I find "firmware"?
- Is there "firmware" out there that will make my cy7c68013 behave like an FT245RL? (Byte-at-a-time bulk rate FIFO)
I don't expect these questions to be answered by anyone here, but I would like to be shown a resource that will enlighten me.
Thank you for your help,