You are here

MCP3901 24 bit SPI | Cypress Semiconductor

MCP3901 24 bit SPI

Summary: 4 Replies, Latest post by hli on 04 Nov 2014 03:23 AM PST
Verified Answers: 0
Last post
kingneb's picture
40 posts

I am attempting to use the SPI master module to interface the MCP3901. The first thing I am doing is setting up the registers to the configuration I want. Then I will attempt to read.

I am using a pin on the PSoC to generate the clock. The device is not responding, a sign the configuration did not take. The sign of successful configuration I am looking for is activity on the data ready and MISO pins when invoking a read. I am receiving none.

My C code, the SPI object, and the MCP3901 are not squaring up. Given the address automatically increments upon a write, I assumed you can just write the values 8 bits at a time using the SPI master. Can any of you tell where I am mixed up? What about reading 24 bits properly?

Attached are the header and C files I am writing.

Gaspode42's picture
18 posts

It will be easier to assist you if you could post the entire project

File, Export Project Bundle, Minimum(Basic)

SPI can be a bit od an issue, do you have access to a logic ananlyser?

user_14586677's picture
7646 posts

A pretty low cost logic analyzer -

Just search ebay for "Saleae logic" for other suppliers.

I bought 2, work great.

Regards, Dana.

kingneb's picture
40 posts

I got the converter to work with the help of a logic analyzer. I forgot I had one (it was packed away from a recent move).

Now I am confused by a few things:

1. The converter spits out a 24 bit signed integer. How should I read this properly in C? I am attempting this with a union and three bytes. I may have it right but I am also confused by equation 5.3.

2. Equation 5-3 is how a voltage count corresponds to a voltage read.

The conversion formula I use is Voltage = (ACD_Count * Ref_Voltage) / (2^Resolution). The variables may be rearragned  in the datasheet as I cannot conform if DATA_CHn is the count or the analog voltage. I am using the internal 2.37 volt reference. The in- terminals are grounded, so I am just running the converters single ended. So for this converter, based on that formula, with my setup, what is theproper method to determine the voltage level based on the count?

user_78878863's picture
2551 posts

You can store the 3 bytes received from the SPI in a 32-bit integer. Then you get the sign bit (the 24th), mask out the upper 9 bits and set the sign properly.

To get the voltage, you just need to re-arrange the formula. Since Vref- and Vin- are 0 for you, formula 5-3 reads as

so you re-arrange it as