Inspired to put my Bluetooth LE development kit to some use, I built a BLE remote controlled car. I salvaged the chassis and drive-train from one damaged toy RC car and the H-bridge motor drivers from a second car. From a the ballast of a dead CFL bulb, I built a simple circuit to monitor the battery voltage. Zip-ties, rubber-bands and some wire-nuts hold the whole thing together. I used the PrISM pulse density modulation components for controlling the speed and direction of the motors. Even with these rather poor quality DC motors, the pulse density modulation works well.
I adapted the custom BLE profile used in the RGB LED/CapSense lab to control the car. The RGB LED service controls the speed and direction and the CapSense service provides an indication of the battery voltage. This way I can control the car from the CySmart Android app although driving the car using the color palette can be awkward.
To conserve power, the system will go into hibernation if the advertisement process times-out. Pressing the SW2 button wakes-up the system. If the button is pressed when the system is advertising or connected to the client, the system will enter hibernation. If connected, the system will send a disconnect to the client before entering hibernation.
I have posted the project archive. The archive contains a 'readme' file with a much more detailed description of the project. So it could be adapted to other salvaged toy vehicles, I designed the project to be modular.