You are here

CY5677 dongle "Not a valid CySmart dongle!" | Cypress Semiconductor

CY5677 dongle "Not a valid CySmart dongle!"

Summary: 5 Replies, Latest post by Jason.Swoboda_1721951 on 19 Oct 2016 03:08 PM PDT
Verified Answers: 0
Last post
gabriel_1673771's picture
User
2 posts

Hello,

We're using the CY5677 BLE dongle on one of our projects. It works great most of time :)

One issue is that sometimes it goes into a state where we cannot connect to it anymore, TryGetCySmartDongleCommunicator() returns "Not a valid CySmart dongle!".

This unfortunately is a showstopper for us because we won't have physical access to machine to press the 'reset' button or power cycle the dongle.

- Could you please share with us some insights on why/when does the dongle go into this state? Maybe we can handle those cases better from our code.

- Is there a way for us to automatically (remotely) reset the dongle when this happens?

Thank you,

Gabriel

gabriel_1673771's picture
User
2 posts

Is it possible to trigger the 'reset button' behaviour from within the dongle's firmware?

Could you build such a firmware that automatically resets when it goes into that 'not a valid cysmart dongle' state?

I suppose the firmware source code is not available to us, right? :)

Thank you!

sharan.avati_1560381's picture
User
25 posts

Hello Cypress,

I do face this issue quite regularly. There is no way to get rid of this problem unless the dongle is removed and reinserted. It's quite annoying as we have a production tool based on this dongle.

Is it a known issue? Can you please help us to handle this issue?  

Please understand that changing the dongle and rewriting the test tool costs us time and money.

Thanks & Regards,

Sharan

user_1377889's picture
User
10710 posts

Sharan, I would suggest you to get in contact with Cypress directly: At top of this page select "Design support -> Create a Support Case" and ask your question. You will be helped by a Cypress engineer.

Bob

sharan.avati_1560381's picture
User
25 posts

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your quick response!

Will do it.

Thanks & Regards,

Sharan

Jason.Swoboda_1721951's picture
User
1 post

I'm seeing a similar issue with a different outcome.  We hav an application that utilizes the CySmart dongle located on COM1 and another non-CySmart device located on COM3.  Using Standard IO Ports to get a list of COM ports, we scan through the ports one at a time calling TryGetCySmartDongleCommunicator with each COM port.  9 of 10 times, the method returns the "Not a Valid CySmart Dongle!" message/status shown above.  But 1 of 10 times when attempting COM3 - the wrong com port - it just fails to return and the entire application has to be killed from the task manager.

Does anyone know if this function has a designated timeout and any ideas of what could keep it from returning  AT ALL?