CY4651 v1.3 - Cypress and AuthenTec Reference Design for Biometric Security in External USB Hard Disk Drives | Cypress Semiconductor
CY4651 v1.3 - Cypress and AuthenTec Reference Design for Biometric Security in External USB Hard Disk Drives
Take content on your portable hard drive--videos, audio files, documents, and still pictures--with you wherever you go and feel safe. Now, you can protect your valuable content with the simple touch of your finger. The CY4651 v1.3 reference design from Cypress and AuthenTec provides everything a platform designer needs to add biometric security to external hard disk drives (HDDs) using fingerprint recognition technology. The reference design utilizes the AuthenTec EntrePad 2510, the industry's most proven biometric fingerprint slide sensor, and Cypress's EZ-USB FX2LP(TM) uC, the industry's most popular high-speed USB 2.0 microcontroller, which interfaces with AuthenTec's sensor and delivers data from the HDD to the host computer.
The CY4651 v1.3 reference design allows manufacturers of portable HDD's or enclosures to easily add biometric security to these drives, limiting access to data on the drives to those with a registered fingerprint.
The following features are included in Cypress/AuthenTec CY4651 v1.3 HDD reference design solution:
- Complete plug-and-play solution - All software stored on portable hard disk drive (HDD)
- ATA security protects against hard disk drive (HDD) removal from enclosures
- HDD Partitioning - Supports up to 3 read/write partitions
- "Autorun" functionality that automatically starts application software upon enumeration
- DLL Library for 3rd party application software developers
Cypress's High-Speed USB family is uniquely positioned to provide several devices capable of supporting today's USB 2.0 requirements for External USB Hard Disk Drives; this reference design is targeted to the high-performance of EZ-USB FX2LP (CY7C68013A).
Why is it important?
- To secure sensitive corporate and private data
- Limit access to data to those with a registered fingerprint
The reference design includes:
- Schematic (Orcad)
- Firmware (FX2LP)
- User Design Notes
- Bill of Materials (BOM)
- AuthenTec Design Documentation
Interested parties can also request a live demo from their local Cypress sales representative.
Description of the firmware is provided in the Design Notes.